Friday, February 3, 2012

Honey Sesame Chicken

I found this recipe off of Six Sisters' Stuff http://www.sixsistersstuff.com of which they adapted from Baby Center. I made this for supper tonight. The slow-cooker did most of the work, so it was easy to make. I had two concerns: the amount of honey, one whole cup and the 1/2 cup of soy sauce! I went forward and figured they know what they are doing. It smelled really good while cooking. By the time supper came around I was down to half of the family present for supper. My husband went to a funeral and sons 1&3 went ice fishing with grandpa. So the remainder of us has a quiet supper of Honey Sesame Chicken, brown rice, snap pea pods and raw orange pepper slices. My 8 year-old at it very well and my 2 year-old at the rice and peppers (a favorite). I would consider that a success. When my husband gets home he will be happy to eat about half of what is left.
I did not season the chicken like the original recipe said because I thought that the soy sauce had enough salt in it. I was wrong, I ended up adding 1/2tsp of salt at the end.
My only criticism of the recipe was that the sauce didn't thicken up like I thought it would. Next time I may try less water with the cornstarch. Even with that change I am not sure it will thicken like a traditional Chinese dish. The flavor is good but I would like a thicker sauce.

Honey Sesame Chicken for the Slow Cooker
1 1/2-2lb chicken breasts (about 4)
1 cup honey
1/2 cup soysauce
1/3 cup onion
1/4 cup ketchup
1T oil
3 cloves of garlic minced
1/4 tsp pepper flakes
1/2 tsp salt
4 tsp cornstarch
2T water
Sesame seeds

Spray slow cooker with non-stick spray. Add chicken breasts. Mix honey, soy sauce, onion, ketchup, oil, garlic, and pepper flakes. Cook on high 1 1/2 to 2 hours or 4 hours on low, until chicken is cooked. Remove chicken from slow cooker. Mix water and cornstarch; add to remaining sauce in slow cooker. Allow sauce to cook for about 10 minutes. Meanwhile cut chicken into cubes. Add chicken back to sauce to coat. Serve over rice and garnish with sesame seeds.
This is how mine turned out, not too bad!

No comments:

Post a Comment