Friday, March 7, 2014

Make your Pie and eat it too! Happy Birthday to me!

Wow, after 3+ years of school I am nearly done with my Master's of Science in Nursing! This means I have more time to do the things I love, one of which is cooking and baking. I have explained to my husband that cooking is all about taste and baking is about science. You can play with ingredients when you are cooking but in baking you really need to keep things consistent, or at least understand some of the science before you start playing!
So most people like cake for their birthday, but after baking birthday cake for 4 kids through the year I had a craving for pie, lemon meringue pie to be specific. This year my birthday was preceded, by only a few hours, by the 40th baby I caught as part of my nurse-midwife training! Twice the celebration was in order!!! So after being up for a better part of the night I still insisted on attempting my first ever lemon meringue pie. I had researched the different recipes prior to selecting what I thought would be a winner. I choose a Land O' Lakes Recipe because it looked stable and had a lot of lemon flavor happening!
I HATE making pie crust, so I opted for a store bought type. Other than that I kept everything the same. http://www.landolakes.com/recipe/2503/creamy-lemon-meringue-pie
I think it turned out very well, with a nice balance of sweet and tangy! I would highly recommend this recipe and will use it the next time I make a lemon meringue pie!
Two pieces of advice: #1 let the pie cool and set up completely before cutting it will cut better and not run (but it still tastes good), #2 make sure the meringue covers the pie and seals the filling, I did this per advise of a midwife I was working with!
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment